iOS needs no introduction — one of the most sophisticated operating systems with a continuously increasing worldwide popularity. The mobile operating system allows the developers to create high-quality codes and provide innovative solutions for powering iPhone, iPad, and other Apple products.
With the increasing consumption of information through mobile phone, there is a growing demand for mobile app developers across the world. Per the comScore MobiLens statistical report on Apple, iPhone at present holds a 42.9% share of the US smartphone market with a total of 85.8 million iPhone users in the US. Considering the numbers, it should not come as a surprise that businesses are looking to get space on this operating system and market their service to the increasing iOS users. Despite the efficient functionality of other multiple platforms, companies primary focus is on iOS development to leverage the purchasing power of the clients by developing iOS apps, which explains the increasing demand of iOS developers.
There are three frameworks highly preferred by iOS developers for building functional practical and efficient mobile applications, that give the developer freedom to innovate and create a more user-centric mobile app.
While it’s only natural for developers to think of language and IDE provided by Apple, ie. C/Swift and Xcode, there are plenty of iOS and cross-platform mobile app development tools and frameworks that you can use to create a single or multiple platform application. We have compiled you a list of 3 of the most highly appreciated platforms along with what makes them unique:
- Presently being hailed as one of the best iPhone app development tools, Xcode is devoted towards highly engaging, and slick apps on the iOS platform.
- Its polished editors allow the developer to create error-free codes with its code folding syntax highlighting. A 100% free IDE that integrates all the tools required for app development, ‘Xcode’s robust interface facilitates everything from composition of the source code, designing, debugging to uploading to the App store all within a single window.
- A bit intimidating to comprehend the interface at first, Xcode offers auto-completion of syntax alongside indicating it’s functionality, freeing developers from the hassle of having to mug everything.
- The Xcode environment comes with an extension “Playground,” wherein the developer can test lines of code, and the code will run without pressing any button for saving or refresh.
- A well designed and easy to use UI creator, Xcode comes with instinctual memory leak detection and other profiling and heap analysis tools which make it easy for developers to learn and use.
- One of the most popular and cross-platform frameworks, with Xamarin, a Microsoft owned company, developers can create iOS applications using c# and Visual Studio.
- One of the primary reasons why Xamarin is considered one of the top players in the development market is its ability to compile projects to native codes, making a Xamarin app indistinguishable from XCode.
- Depending on the development needs, Xaamarin offers a plethora of tools, allowing programmers to utilize the existing C# libraries to create apps. It gives developers the ease of check and performs quality analysis and testing on various devices, to help them develop sturdy and scalable mobile applications.
- Being a mono framework tool, it strengthens correspondence of mobile devices with the API. A popular framework for developing a cross-platform app, Xamarin offers added advantage while implementing certain functions to make the application perform better.
- Its full hardware supports provides native level functionality along with enhanced customization.
- An open source framework, the native script allows for creating and deploying the application for iOS as well as Android from a single code base.
- With its ability to support several plugins, Native Script provides an extension of the application functionality, for better performance.
- With Native Script, developers can build apps that offer ease of use and enriches the user experience with its mobile-ready features which signal towards a promising future for app development with Native Script.
Having discussed the framework, which is leading the iOS development, let us discuss the essential iOS mobile app development tools every business should know of. Aside from Xcode which we have already discussed, mentioned below are some of the best iOS development tools that your app developer should know how to navigate through to ensure iOS app success effectively:
- For Documentation:
One of the best tools for online documentation, SwiftDoc. Org is an auto-generated Swift header file form which removes the hassle of developers to command-click around header files in Xcode, by providing them a platform where they can easily browse the protocol, types, and operators.
- For Debugging:
An SDK and online service for profound diagnostics of the application, Raygun is a performance monitoring tool that notifies the developer of user experience, including the errors and crashes encountered. Errors and crashes are reported on the dashboard, which helps in easy identification and resolution of problems.
- For backend service:
Build on Rack web server interface, Helios; an open source framework provides developers with a vast collection of iOS development back end service essentials. It offers in-app purchases, analytics, logging, and more such advanced functionalities.
- For designing:
One of the most functional designing tools, Flawless, is a plugin iOS simulator, which helps establish the differences between the implemented and the expected design. This helps the developer spot visual differences, if any and resolve them promptly.
- For revision control:
A code editor and git client for iOS devices, Source is a swift code editor that provides syntax highlighting compatible for more than 100languages along with a coding keyboard comprising of popular programming characters to use them as a third party keyboard over iOS.
While you might want to immediately jump to develop an iOS mobile application for your business after reading those mentioned above, you need to make sure that your iOS developer is well versed in the following skills:
- Key Value:
They are the initial Source of communication between elements in iOS platform. Your developer should be proficient in key-value coding as using it can only give the object access to properties.
- Auto Layout:
Autolayout, introduced with Xcode 6, is what makes the iOS interface adaptive and helps in clearly defining the element level relationship, thereby creating a robust UI. Your developer should be able to implement an auto layout to enhance their control over the interface development.
- View Controller:
They define the internal structure of the iOS app and can be created in multiple and customized forms. Your developer should be exceptionally well versed in the container view controller and contain view controllers.
- Table views:
One of the essential elements of iOS app development, table views intricacy heightens as the complexity of the app increases, which is why it is necessary for your developer to know the control, display and to switch like the back of their hand.
Our team of highly skilled and experienced iOS developer at itchimes will ensure that you get your app tailored to your requirement, functioning smoothly on the iOS platform. With the aim to maximize your return on investment, we approach applications strategically to ensure high performance.
Request a quote to get an iOS app build for your business and watch your business reach a broader base of a qualified audience.